Monday, April 20, 2009

ACK! I got behind....

Ok, I apologize. I got behind. I am behind... I will catch up. On with my story:

So the last time I posted, I told you how I was wrong with my line of thinking right before and right after the layoff.

It took me a while to realize this. Before I did, I sunk into a bit of a depression. I sat at home, I slept till noon, I lost weight (I am a stress starver, not a stress eater) and I generally moped.

It was not until I met and consulted with a friend of a friend, that I realized that I have skills I had forgotten. Seriously - what happens to a person to make them forget what they can do?

I know what it was for me.

I hated my job.

I hate not knowing what was expected of me. I hate not having the tools and supplies to do my job properly. I hate being micromanaged into a pulp.

I am over bosses who have the personality of a schizophrenic Wheaton Terrier (no offense to the terriers). I am over "open door" policies that don't really mean "open door."

I am done letting my time get taken advantage of and working my rear end off to get by while others practically color at their desks and get praised.

Any industry can be hard, I understand that. The Travel Industry seems to have more than its fair share of negativity. From the bottom to the top.

What happened to being in love with what you do? I mean, I wanted that as a child... I wanted that as a teenager... I was sure I would get that when I was in college....

I don't expect to have a Pollyanna day every day at the office. I just expected something different.

Now was the time to figure out what THAT was.

I spent some time working on my resume and talking to this friend of a friend and I made some major decisions about what I need out of a career.

And for the first time in years... I went to bed one night and woke up the next morning... happy.

No comments: